Every time a show opening comes around, I always mean to do a few things.
1. Invite directors. Even if they don't show up, at least they know I'm working.
2. Invite my friends. I mean, at LEAST send out an email, right?
3. Make a cake, or cupcakes, or cookies or something to bring my cast for opening night. Maybe even write out cards like some people do.
4. Update my damn website with opening weekend news, ticket links, etc.
I mostly failed.
1. I invited directors who I'd recently auditioned for only. Unless you count adding them to the Facebook invite, which isn't exactly personal.
2. Ditto...Facebook invite.
3. Cards? Oh crap, I can't even do birthday cards for close family. I'm just not good at writing sentiment down. And I ran out of time to do any baking whatsoever.
4. EPIC FAIL.
What did I do instead? I made an epic playlist based on the show and its characters. Seriously, I spent HOURS making this damn playlist perfect. If you'd like to hear it, click on the links below. I've included my notes about the playlist, with quotes from the show.
1. Entry of the Gladiators...The classic circus song. To start off the show.
2. Send in the Clowns by Barbara Streisand...Because everyone is a fool, truly.
3. Earth Angel by The Penguins...This is the song Derek sings to himself about his character, and it's only fitting for an angel doomed to roam the earth. "Mama says you don't exist" "That's heresy! I'm an ANGEL!"
4. Broken Wings by Mr. Mister...What a terrible fucking song. Seriously. It's awful. But it fits. Take these broken wings, and learn to fly again, learn to live so free.
5. Visions by Saintseneca..."You mean like in a vision?" "It's all vision...there's nothing real at all."
6. The Gravedigger's Song by Mark Lanegan Band..."Gravedigger...you look like a strong boy."
7. Secret Agent Man by Johnny Rivers...Alvarez is a man who leads a life of danger.
8. Apocalypse Please by Muse..."This is it now, of course." "Of course. The deluge." "The apocalypse."
9. Counting Stars by OneRepublic...Annie is stargazing.
10. Tears of a Clown by Smokey Robinson...Ain't no sadder thing than the tears of a clown
11. Bolivar...such a nice appropriate bolero-style circus song for going into the Spanish court. Ole!
12. Chocolate by La Pegatina...Todos quieren el chocolate!
13. Rain King by Counting Crows..."Taste the rain, Mengo! God is pissing on us today because he fears we may have heaven again!"
14. Witch by Bird and the Bee..."You sure she's a witch?"
15. Burn the Witch by Queens of the Stone Age..."Take her with you. You can burn together."
16. Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson...Annie almost gets raped but is saved by Crazyface: "Annie are you okay?"
17. Outlaws by Sir Psyko and His Monsters..."Bout time we had a flood or a lynching or a visit from some friendly bandits."
18. Hell Broke Luce by Tom Waits...OH SHIT. Mengo just set Lenny luce on the world. We're all fucked.
19. White Wedding by Billy Idol...Nice day for a white wedding.
20. March of the Pigs by Nine Inch Nails..."Pigs inside and out!"
21. War Pigs by Black Sabbath..."They're killing the pigs! There's blood coming down like rain!"
22. Clowns: The Booster (An American Rag)...Intermission music
1. Liberty Horses...the meat's a little tough and they sass back
2. The Pocket of a Clown by Dwight Yoakam...I imagine the pockets of clowns are kinda yucky places, and are bottomless besides.
Full of fake flowers, tied handkerchief chains, and pickled herring. YUM
3. Angel Baby by Rosie and the Originals..."If you don't stop seeing angels, you're going to get yourself in a lot of trouble."
4. Rock Lobster by the B52s..."The fattest and the finest"
5. Up On Cripple Creek by The Band..."I'm very suspicious of so many cripples. Maybe they're breeding somewhere."
6. You're So Vain by Carly Simon..."Hear that? She's got lace underwear!"
7. Fight Song by The Aquabats..."I...am NOT...PEOPLE!"
8. Everybody Loves a Clown by Gary Lewis and the Playboys...poor Crazyface
9. I Fucking Hate You by Godsmack..."I hate you. I've always hated you." This is what Lenny's brain sounds like on a nice day.
10. Lola by The Kinks..."This isn't a woman!" "It's the best we could get you at this short notice."
11. Gallows Pole by Led Zeppelin..."What's that?" "Final adjustments to the gallows."
12. Chocolate Jesus by Tom Waits..."EAT."
13. Sabotage by the Beastie Boys..."We can't all be winners."
14. God's Away On Business by Tom Waits..."The Pope sees no one."
15. Mama I'm Coming Home by Ozzy Osbourne..."The right wind can take you anywhere, more or less...anywhere you want..even home."
16. Blackbird cover by Sarah McLachlan..."Mama, another bird"
17. Grand Finale: Barnum and Bailey's Favorite
18. Cathy's Clown by the Everly Brothers...for Crazyface
19. Black Wings by Tom Waits...it SO fits Lenny, but my whole playlist would have been Tom Waits if I wasn't careful.
20. Chocolate Rain by Tay Zonday...it's a terrible song, but it fits the court of Spain...
21. Don't Send In The Clowns from Space Ghost...because it bookends the whole playlist, and Space Ghost is awesome.