First off, before I lament my lack of progress this past week, I have an exciting announcement: I have just joined the board of Candid Theater! I’m honored to be asked, and enthusiastic about helping promote and support the efforts of such a great theatre company.
On to my weekly check-in. What did I accomplish this past week?
Last week I had a meeting with a future scene partner that fell through, emailed three others about scenes, and have another meeting set up for this week. Now I just need to get on those other two. Didn’t go to class last week or this week because of financial reasons and work. Planning to be back in class next Monday for monologue day, with two monologues memorized. Whew!
I did succeed in transcribing the commercials. Check. Now, I’m going to work on doing at least three more.
Did I work out at least three days last week? That’s a really good question. It depends on what I define as working out, so really I need to be more specific with myself. I ended up working at the restaurant a lot last week, so I did a LOT of walking, but when I say “work out,” I specifically mean my HIIT program. Which I only did ONCE last week. Boo. If I do it Friday and Sunday this week, I’ll be doing better than last week, because I already did it yesterday.
Didn’t write at all this week. Once again…boo. And my blog post is late again. Double boo. I can do better than that.
I did cut one monologue from a play that I read last week, and found at least one other that might work. So, definitely a win in this category. Gonna use that for Monday's monologue class…
I saw Frank Theatre’s production of Love and Information by Caryl Churchill last week. Not sure yet, but I think I am seeing Defying Gravity tonight at the Southern and the preview of Workhaus Collective’s new show Skin Deep Sea tomorrow night. That’s two more *new plays! Well on my way to at least 80% this year!
*"new" meaning shows that are either being produced for the first time or that have not yet been produced here in the cities, though I may also decide to include shows that I have not personally seen on stage yet.
Didn’t get any of my tax stuff done and had to reschedule my filmmaker meeting because I wasn’t feeling well. I think part of this process is going to be actually learning to schedule in time for these things which aren’t directly paying me. I’m really good at scheduling time for work that pays and for hanging out with friends, and I’m really good at wasting time that isn’t scheduled.
Other things I accomplished last week:
- I mentioned this already, but I saw one play, and I watched two movies: one was a foreign horror film called Sennentuntschi: Curse of the Alps (which I was enjoying somewhat until it got unnecessarily rapey, and then I fell asleep for the ending), and the other was the noir film Crime of Passion, starring Barbara Stanwyck, Raymond Burr, Sterling Hayden, and Fay Wray. That movie was really fun to make fun of. I didn’t get to the theater to see anything new this week, despite the fact I haven't yet seen SO MANY of the Oscar nominated films this year.
- I finished reading Trust by Steven Dietz, Jerusalem by Jez Butterworth, and Inventing Van Gogh by Steven Dietz. Only three plays left in my stack from the library!
- I participated in one of the most fun karaoke nights I’ve had in a long time. So many theater people! So much hilarity!
So, really…I have a lot more to accomplish this week. And only a few days left. Audition season has now begun, and I already have SEVEN auditions scheduled in the near future that I need to prepare for. Onward and upward!
Goals for this week:
- Memorize two new monologues for class on Monday
- Transcribe 3-5 more radio spots
- Enter my mileage in my tax spreadsheet
- Work out on Friday and on Sunday, to make three times this week
- Read one more play before Sunday
- See two more brand new shows
- ???? That's probably more than I can do as is...it's Valentine's Day this weekend, and the restaurant I work at is going to keep me busy